I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Last week Monster Route

One of our big travel requirements for graduation is a monster route. We travel to 4 different cities within Denver and visit four locations. I picked Starbucks in Littleton, A bird store in Lakewood, A bakery in Wheat Ridge, and "My Big Fat Greek Cafe" in Denver. We have to do this under sleep shades and use the transit system to get from place to place.

My morning started off with getting lost in a grassy field behind Starbucks and some driver turning around and coming to me in the field to help. I was so grateful. He helped me get out of the field and back to the parking lot to Starbucks.

After that I got onto the sidewalk to go catch the bus and ended up accidentally going onto a traffic median and completely confused myself. Traffic sounds were wrong and I had no idea how I got there. Someone so me looking confused and helped me get back onto the sidewalk.

At my next destination some guy saw me and decided he would hang out with me and socialize. I got to hear all about his trailer and lack of job and ....oh Gosh I was wishing he would go away. He followed me to the bird store and sat with me while I listened to them for an hour and then took me to a bus stop. Thank God he didn't come with me on the bus and go to my next destination.

I made it to the bakery and then some guy helped me cross the road to catch the next bus. It was a busy road so I was grateful for his help. Of course while I waited for the bus he proceeded to get his car and drive up to me wanting to give me a ride. "No sir I have to use public transit." Thank goodness for that rule so I could use it as an excuse. No Hitchhiking allowed on Monster routes.

I had two bus transfers before my final destination. Looked like a lost blind girl and am glad I couldn't see how I looked. I ran into every pillar and bench and pot of plants on the whole sidewalk (at least I think I did).

I had to cross one last big intersection to get to the restaurant and was so confused and traffic made no sense. Turns out the intersection was shaped weird and didn't have very good identifiable crossing ramps (wheelchair ramps). Someone helped me then too.

I am so grateful there are plenty of people out their that want to help. Just wish the weird guys weren't so attracted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment