I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Grilling

Ok so I learned how to grill with no vision today. Once again putting my body near a heat source I can't see if really nerve wracking! The trick is to use tongs to feel the grill and find your way around it. I grilled vegetables in an aluminum foil wrap. So it wasn't too hard to keep the veggies contained and the part I was most nervous about was the whole burning my hands thing. After learning to grill something today I still think I am more savvy with power tools than anything cooking related.

Speaking of which I did make my first error in wood shop today. Apparently when I raised the miter saw to cut some trim I didn't raise it high enough to clear the wood and as soon as I started the saw it grabbed the trim and chewed it up. Whoops! Fortunately we learn safe ways of cutting things so I wasn't in any danger from losing fingers and will probably never forget to raise the blade higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment