I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Rock Climbing

Went rock climbing again today. The creek near where we were climbing was very high today so it was very noisy and made hearing pretty difficult. I hate trying to walk on the trail near the river b/c all I can hear is the water and get really nervous. When I finally sat down on a rock to put on climbing shoes the guides left to do something and forgot about me for a LONG time. I just sat there wanting to go hunt someone down and get their help but it was too loud for me to even begin to figure out where to go to ask for help. Eventually I did get to climb on a rock and did fairly well. There were a few times when I was having little spats on the rock face with the wall. I really hate not seeing where to grab and I would take it out verbally on the rock. I did make it to the top and repelled down without too much trouble. I still expect too much of myself. Oh well, that is what has made me such a driven person I guess. You have to be in a "fast paced" world that doesn't view the disabled as equal. I had to make myself an equal and prove myself. SO now, even with something like rock climbing, I push myself so hard to be good at everything. (I gave up on being great with intersections though).

We also went on the Tyrolean (a zip line across the river). I'm not a big fan of fast moving deep water and hanging above the river went against my natural instincts. I had to pull myself across and then ride the line back across. I was fun actually. Pulling myself was no trouble, but the idea of jumping and throwing myself towards the river water on the way back was not sitting well. One of the guides said the look on my face was classic, like "Uh huh you want me to just throw myself over the river. Right!!! No-thanks!" But new things are always scary the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment