I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Practice

It's been awhile since I've updated. Had some rough days dealing with some emotional things. Some losses happen again and again and just when you think you'll get used to it you realize you never really will.

Well back to blind training, last week one of the things we did in travel was practice an intersection with a turn island. One of those things you have to cross to get to the actual intersection. The right turners use it to keep from having to wait for the light with the rest of traffic. As a blind person this type of an intersection is a monster. At least for me. First you have to know that there is one...usually the curb slowly turns rather than making a sharp corner. Then you have to line up with traffic at 45 degree angles instead of perpendicular or parallel like normal. When you cross you want to head towards traffic in order to hit the island. Actually making yourself move into the sound of traffic is a violation of all things common sense for me. But alas you arrive to safety (assuming you made the correct assumption in the first place, and there is actually a turn island). Then the rest of the intersection crossing is pretty normal like others. Of course normal for me is still not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment