I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Big Drop

I finally did my independent drop today. It was the one requirement I was most afraid of. It is similar to my support drop (where I get dropped off in the city and have to find my way back under blindfold) but this time I did it without anyone with me. I was all by myself. Scary! I did it though.

I was dropped off in a residential neighborhood next to Broadway. At first I checked based on where the sun was and found that I was on a north south road so that meant that the busy street I heard to my left was also a north south road. Most north south roads have buses. So I knew I needed to get over there. I got to the intersection of the road I was on and could not find a wheelchair ramp (which is a helpful important marker to use in aligning to cross a street). Not all residential streets have them. So I got off the sidewalk and used the gutter along the sidewalk to line myself up and listened for a while before crossing the street. I made it across. Phew!!!

OK so now I headed toward the busy road and got stuck next to an air conditioning unit (at least that's my guess) and was freaked out about how to get around it. Was afraid of chopping fingers off. Gee the irrational things that go through the mind when blind! I finally got around it and finally got to the busy road. I wanted to go right so I wouldn't have to cross a street next to the busy LOUD road and got stuck by a fence and tree.Couldn't find a way around it and needed to go left and cross the smaller street next to Broadway. A nice guy come and asked if I needed help and I was so happy that he was there to get me across. Still didn't use up my question though. I phrased it so it wasn't a question. Then I got stuck on the sidewalk and couldn't figure out how to get realigned...probably nerves messing with my brain b/c of this loud nerve racking street next to me. The guy came out again to rescue me and took me to the bus stop down the sidewalk a ways. I had said "I'm just looking for a bus stop!" Even though I didn't ask a question I was so upset that it meant that I cheated. The bus came and took me to the light rail station. That was my question "DO you go to Light rail?" When I got off I got stuck on the bus island and the driver got off and walked me across...I did say I was supposed to do it by myself but people do like to help blind folks out. Once again I thought I cheated and cried on light rail. I was so afraid I'd have to re-do this drop and that I cheated myself out of a real accomplishment. Everyone at the center thought I did fine and didn't cheat. It took some convincing to myself though.

All in all I did survive and I learned that people are more helpful than is always realized. Even if I do go deaf blind ...as long as I'm in a busy area I will always have the help I need to cross busy streets. Nice to know!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, it's crazy how a simple task such as crossing the street can turn into such a stressful task. But while you were trying to be independent, it's relieving to read that there were people willing to help you, despite your insistence on never using that question!

    Keep up the blog, Chrissy. I'm rooting for ya!

    ReplyDelete