I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Monday, July 12, 2010

NFB Convention 2010

Convention went well but it was too long. A week is way too long. I really hated the beginning of the week b/c the individual sessions were boring and I didn't get much out of meetings like "Blind parents group" or "Blind Educators" b/c people spent more time complaining about their life circumstances than talking about tips or tricks or valuable information. Once we started general sessions the week went better. I learned a lot about the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) philosophy, about blindness issues in society, about attitudes and mentalities, about research, etc.

I also found it helpful being able to research technology that I can use to help me in my graduate work and teaching. I have been so afraid of the notion that one morning I could wake up with no vision or that one of my blackouts would result in my vision never coming back. But now I feel more confident that with the aid of certain technology I could continue grad work and find a way to succeed. Too bad everything blind related costs an arm and a leg though.

We had convention in a huge hotel. I've never been in one this big. With 3,000 blind people and all their canes and dogs...I was ready to scream. Smack, smack, smack. We all collided into each other on a regular basis and people were getting rather annoyed with each other. My friend broke two canes and I ended up letting her use mine, which left me with nothing. I still have some vision that I was able to get around the old fashioned way without breaking any arms or legs in the process. :-)

I have to say I'm not sure I want to go to another convention. Just a tad stressful and way too many people. I was grateful I wasn't forced to wear sleep shades the whole time. I would have sat on the floor and cried. The whole building was made of marble and the few times I did use sleep shades I couldn't hear much useful info. It was so loud and echoey. I also tripped like 5 people in a matter of minutes. Whoops!!! I am so glad to be back home!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissy,
    This is Jessica from Cleanlogic.

    I'd like to send you some info on Cleanlogic and some of our products for you to review on your blog if you're interested.

    Cleanlogic is first in the skin care industry to include Braille on our bottles of lotions and body washes.

    We're also donating a percentage of our sales to local blind centers and Inspiration Foundation which provides blind/visually impaired adults with adaptive computer technology and professional career opportunities.

    Email me at jwebster310@yahoo.com if you're interested!

    Thanks and hope to hear from you soon,

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say this half joking and half seriously, follow the obituaries :) I know you're always looking for a great deal, and macular degeneration runs in my family and several family members have gone blind before their death. I know that some surviving family members have sold their specialty blind equipment on craigs list, ect.

    ReplyDelete