I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 2

Today went much better. I felt more confident using my cane and getting around. Still got trapped in corners and such but it wasn't as scary. I also challenged myself and made myself use the bathroom without sight. That was quite an adventure. I also practiced cane travel outside and found myself enjoying it. Using just my sense of feel instead of sight is like exploring a "whole new world."
Tonight the big thing was that I had my hearing aids reset again to hopefully make it so that I can hear more when people talk. I also need to hear ambient noise in the background b/c of my vision loss. So my brain is very busy adjusting to sound, lack of vision, and trying to squeeze in braille and teaching my class at ACC. I am a tad maxed out with braille at the moment. I can only handle so much. Sometimes it's easy to feel overwhelmed but I am trying to take it one day at a time. Besides it's only day 2.

1 comment:

  1. Chrissy it sounds like you are getting the feel of it. Keep it up. Your babies are good but miss you. Hopefully you can see them over the weekend. You are a rock and others need to look for you for inspiration. Love ya!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete