I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, January 22, 2010

End of week 1

This week has been so exhausting. Whooo!!! I am doing so much work figuring out how to re-adjust to my life but I am feeling pretty good about myself. I've accomplished alot and it's only been 4 days. I do get pretty overwhelmed about all that I need to learn and probably can't fit into this 9 month program that I have to finish in 6.5 months. With grad school looming around next fall I can't train much more than that. I am grateful for this time and chance to really work on my needs and figure out my life and how I am going to be able to function.

Yesterday wasn't such a good day. I guess I was tired and kept getting stuck in corners and couldn't find places that I need to go to. The whole blindfold thing throws me off sometimes. I am seeing that the sleep shades are very good for me. It forces me to really use my cane instead of relying on eyes that really are not very good.

Today I was practicing my typing program and one of the instructors "Chip" told me to walk around if I feel like falling asleep. As soon as he said it I fell asleep and hit the keyboard with my face. I woke up very quickly. He was laughing so hard. I couldn't believe how I did that. He was like "I've seen people do that before but not quite as dramatic as you just did." I got a kick out of it. I think having this weekend to recuperate will be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment