I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday

Well today I made salmon patties during cooking class. OK get this. Since you can't see where you put a patty in your fryer you have to find it with a spatula and literally follow the spatula with your finger until you touch the patty. I for one do not care to stick my finger into a fryer without seeing where it is going. This was so against my natural attempt at self preservation. I also had to pull a meal out of the oven and place it on the stove. Had to open and them search for the dish (with gloves on this time) and maneuver my way around to put it up on the stove. Harder than it sounds. I did survive all this though, but the kitchen and lunchtime are my biggest stresses of the day.

Travel was interesting. I have such a hard time pacing traffic and knowing when the far traffic is going. The whole localizing sound thing is not working for me. I'm hoping that despite my lack of hearing I will still be able to learn how to localize sound. We'll see! I am still a tad nervous crossing streets and not quite knowing my direction. Still tend to veer off to the side, but at least it's not to the side that traffic is moving on.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Chris, that's pretty amazing about your cooking experiences! All of us try to be good cooks with our complete vision and now you are learning how to be a great cook without vision! Wow, I applaude you-that is true cooking talent!

    Kelly Donahue

    ReplyDelete