I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday is here

Today was very different for me. I started off with my residential manager cooking in my kitchen. Couscous and sausage. All blindfolded. Try to see if you can pour food into a container without seeing it, then make the water in the container come to a rapid boil before hand. Whoooo! I had to use a spatula against the pot and when that wasn't working for me I went ahead and used gloves to hold the sides of the pot while I poured. It didn't spill so I guess that means it made it in. :-) The sausage was interesting. As a blind person you have to get to know how things feel. SO I had to get all nice and personal with my raw sausage. Eiks!!! Can't be squeamish about raw meats anymore. Have to touch and feel them. I think I will forever pass on making thanksgiving turkey. No way do I want to get all touchy feely with one of those.

I went grocery shopping with my home management instructor at Sun flower farmers market. Me and another student basically just hung onto the cart. A worker came up to use and asked Julie, our instructor, if we were doing an experiment or something. I'm not sure why it offended me, but I really did try to force myself not to be offended. I think it bothered me b/c this so called "experiment" is my real life. Not her fault though. We were wearing those bulky sleep shades. Anyways Julie's response was funny. "The experiment is how long can they deal with me!" Classic Julie comment apparently. She was just protecting our feelings by responding like that. I've noticed that at the center for the blind we all really take care of each other. It's like a family! I like and want that. Especially with people like me.

Staffing happened today. I got to meet with all my teachers and my case worker from DVR. I was glad to see her again. She brought some hearing devices with her that I'm eager to get all set up and try out. They act as headphones and hook up to devices that use headphones (laptop, Ipod, phone, etc.) and then will transmit the sound directly to my ears. No need for bulky uncomfortable headsets. The wireless transmitter around my neck sends the signal. I had fun trying the phone out with it. I can talk hands free and talk. :-) Such neat technology these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment