I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chng in travel plans

Looks like I've been having a hard enough time with travel and my hearing loss that things are going to be done differently with me. I've had so many close calls! I have never had to contend with something that I absolutely could not do somehow and now I am looking at this beast straight in the face and wondering how on Earth I am going to function normally. All I can say is I better be one of those lucky few that don't lose absolutely all of my vision or else I'm screwed. Well perhaps that a strong way to put it...but I definitely have more challenges than the average blind person faces b/c of the hearing (or lack thereof). I was really hoping that the hearing thing would be a learned process that I would figure out how to get around...but almost getting creamed by moving vehicles in an attempt to figure that out isn't really working out.

It's so frustrating for me to be capable of studying doctoral level physics and teaching calculus and yet be unable to cross a frigging street. Well I suppose I could think about Stephen Hawkins in this case. He had it worse. Way more brains and much less mobility than I. Hummm somehow that is supposed to make me feel better....well how about a bowl of ice cream!!! With lots of chocolate!!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE ice cream! It cures all at least for the time being! :-)
    ~Christina ;-)

    ReplyDelete