I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Rock Climbing

Today was amazing. I absolutely loved it. A group of us went rock climbing (all blind) in the mountains near Golden CO. It's been years since I did a little bit of it in a rock climbing gym and never in the real outdoors. Certainly not without sight. I went second on the medium difficult rock and had so much fun. I couldn't see the rock and yet I was able to develop a way of feeling the rock and becoming "intimate" ith it if you will. It was challenging and hard but I totally soaked up all the praise from everyone and loved hearing "she's a natural", "look at those moves ...she's so flexible", "wow I am amazed", "girl you're a beast", etc. The rock climbing guides absolutely loved me and wanted to see what I was capable of beyond that and took me onto a very difficult rock b/c it has such a smooth surface with hardly any hand holds or foot holds. It was hard to climb and there were several times I had to literally pull my whole body weight up by my arms to grab at a ledge or small crack I couldn't even see. I did it and I am ecstatic.

It felt like I could do anything with or without vision. I had a number of scraps, bruises, gashes and such but to me they are like a badge of honor.

We also went on a nature trail hike afterwards under blindfold. I was walking pretty fast and feeling all confident but kept gravitating to the river b/c it sounds like water is running all around me with my hearing loss. Brenda would stand between me and the river so I wouldn't end up swimming. It was enjoyable and I could smell the trees, feel the ground, and didn't feel all that blind even though I couldn't See.

On the way back to the van me and Brenda were trying to help each other up a hill and were stumbling all over each other. Such blind grace. HAHA ...I thought it was hilarious...except perhaps the part where as soon as I got up off the hill I smacked into a pole and gashed my nose. Now I'll look like Rudolf. Small price to pay for such an awesome day.

I needed a day like today...it's been a rough few weeks for me and this was like medicine for the soul. Boy I am such a sap!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment