I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Travel

I have been working one on one with another travel instructor who knows a lot about the blind and deaf. He's been showing me other techniques that seem to be working much better for travel. If I ever do go totally blind I will likely be unable to cross major intersections on my own and need assistance from people. I really don't like the sound of that!!! Anyways, we practiced crossing an uncontrolled intersection (where the road we are crossing never stops). I had to indicate when I could hear traffic and after about 30 minutes of analysis we crossed. I have to say that when I cross these things I move FAST. No sense slowly sauntering across. The less time I am in the road the better! I enjoyed being successful for once though. Today we worked on more crossings and driveways. I think I'm getting the hang of regular travel with no intersections involved though. I trust my cane much more than I used to and can usually detect something with my cane before smacking into it. I did get lost in the middle of a field when trying to use the shortcut to go to the center. Oops!!!

I've been cooking some more food. Japanese rice noodle soup today and an egg dish on Monday. Forgot what it was called, but I'll probably never make it for me since it had milk and bread in it. I enjoyed successfully cooking though.

No comments:

Post a Comment