I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Today was a weir day. I had some very strong migraine medicine in my system and boy I was messed up. My equilibrium was messed up and I fell down the stairs. No injuries. Then I fell over on the train. Gosh you would think I was drunk. Slurred speech, smacking in to walls, not remembering how to sign my name...geesh!! But at least I didn't have a migraine.

Tonight after the effects wore mostly off I decided that I needed more intersection practice and went to Platte Canyon and Mineral ave. Fairly sizable and a predictable traffic pattern. Well the first section I did fine...yeah. The second I did ok also. The third was bad though. I thought I was lined up and then crossed. When I checked with my sight I saw that I had crossed diagonally across both busy roads. Holly cow. Guess it wasn't too busy when I crossed. Everyone must have stopped. They each have four lanes...so the hypotenuse would be about 5.6 lanes. Ok once I got over the stupidity of that crossing I proceeded to go back the other way and get to a turn island. I crossed when I thought it was time to go and hit something in the middle of the road...a median. I must have veered so much that I hit it. Then some pedestrian came running and told me I just about got creamed by a car. HUH??? How close? Well he had to put on the breaks hard and stop. Nice to know people stop for us with walking sticks. And we don't get honked at either for it. Then I crossed the three sides to get back to where I was originally. Walked into two cars twice and had to bump around them and continue to walk across the intersection. But I made it alive...but not much better than that. I need way more practice.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief Chrissy! I am just simply thankful that you are alive.... I sure hope they have half a dozen signs posted around near the place; so that people are aware of the crazy people who decide to "practice" crossing the street! Isn't there some easier way you could practice till you got better???? Just so you know I do read your post everyday even if I don't respond most days. Its been just too busy! Keep up the hard work! You and your family are in my prayers!
    ~socks

    ReplyDelete