I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Outdoor day

My butt is really sore from slipping off a rock and smacking into it. Kinda ended up upside down. Not sure how that happened. Good thing for ropes. My balayer (no idea how to spell it) was letting rope out way to fast while I was repelling down and my footing slipped and well you can imagine the rest. I was more annoyed that I looked like an idiot than anything else. I wasn't in any real danger though...probably just seemed like ti b/c I couldn't see anything. After my successful rock climbing adventures last week everyone expected me to be this awesome climber and “rock the world” so to speak (no pun intended) …man talk about pressure. Instead of shrugging it off and just having fun I of course did what I always do and put the pressure ON. Always been way too competitive and expect too much out of myself. My fingers were numb from the cold and I had like no energy from being sick this week and yet I expected myself to perform at peak proficiency…even I can laugh at the stupidity of expecting that. It didn’t help that someone who knew me was there and I really didn’t want to come across as a totally incapable climber. I’m sure you can imagine how horrible I was to myself as a gymnast if I was like this after only 1 day rock climbing. Hey I have way too many physical flaws and have to prove that they are not limitations and I CAN DO ANYTHING!!! I know that’s not really true but this is the tape playing through my mind….old habits die hard!

Let's see: I also got tangled in a tree sticking out of a rock…kinda humorous actually. I was ready to chain saw it off after the little wrestling match on the rock face. Ha!!! Well despite how hard I was on myself I still ended up really enjoying the day. We went hiking afterwards and I really am starting to pick up on hiking blind. It is way easier than intersections and the sheer drop offs next to you sometimes are never even noticed until someone mentions it…then I would hug the other side of the trail. Following a trail is actually tactilely very easy to do. It’s the only area on the trail that is packed down and isn’t too wide so my cane can get most of it in one sweeping motion. I find it interesting though how when I was allowed to take my sleep shades off to look at the view I had a totally different perception of what I would see in my mind than what I actually did see. I was picturing trees, underbrush, lots of green stuff, and a full on rain forest type setting like we have in Washington state. Ummm hello I quickly realized that we were in Colorado not Washington. It was still very beautiful and expansive. I could see a climber on one of the canyon walls and now I want to do that too someday. Anyways after being able to see my surroundings I all the sudden was psychologically unable to “hike” without vision. I kept thinking I had to see what I was doing…despite the fact that I had hiked all the way up to the spot without vision…and in the lead. I could not stand being a follower while hiking. I hate hitting the person in front of me with my cane and being unable to feel the whole trail…and walking with a bunch of blind people can be really really annoyingly slow and tangling to say the least.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment