I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Learning my lesson

I have to chuckle. Here I am training at the center for independence skills while blind and learning a philosophy that blind people can do anything and can do it for themselves. I was at Qdoba (a burrito place) with my two friends Heather and Kristen. They are both total or close to it. I am still sighted without my sleep shades. Anyways Heather finished her burrito and I proceeded to clean up after her. She got so annoyed with me and told me flat out that she could do it herself and I wasn't her mother. I knew that, yet all the sudden I started thinking like I used to and proceeded to "help" her do something she was perfectly capable of doing herself. Guess training hasn't stuck with me on that aspect. I train with this philosophy and yet forget about it as soon as those sleep shades come off. She forgave me of course but it helped me realize what it means to us as blind people to be independent, do things on our own, and to be allowed that right by others. Oops!!! At least I learned that lesson with a friend who willingly tells me what she thinks and will still like me afterwards.

On a side note, I have a funny story my roommate shared with me. Apparently she was getting into a car with her mom in a parking lot and walked to the passenger side, opened the door, and sat down only to find out she was in someone Else's car. The guy was like "ummm I think you are in the wrong car." "Oh I'm sorry sir!" She proceeds to get out and get in the correct car. Oh what a riot. I was totally cracking up on the train when she was telling me this story. Hilarious!!! I love the crazy things we all do...they are so much fun to share with each other and hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment