I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saturday Meal


Last night my friend Kristen and I made a dinner fir about 10 people at my good friend Joyce's house in Evergreen Colorado. Gluten free Strawberry creme tart and salmon patties with quinoa instead of flour to make them gluten free. The food tasted fabulous and I had a great time. There was a major point of frustration when flipping the salmon patties was not going well. They did not want to flip without trying to come apart. Kept burning our fingers on either the frying pan or the griddle. I'm going to have calloused fingers after too many more griddle burns. Fortunately it wasn't super hot. I have to say at that point I was worn out and emotionally charged. I was tired of wearing sleep shades and just wanted to stop. Cooking is hard and under sleep shades it's longer and harder. Nice thing about sleep shades though is that onions don't make you cry and when you do start crying from frustration it hides it well. Instead I just kept laughing. That's generally my way of crying (anyone that knows me well can attest to that).

Aside from frustration during the flipping of salmon patties I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Lots of friends and showing off some of what I have been learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment