I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

overconfidence

So here I am all confident and strutting along with my cane (actually it's more like a blind person walking strut) and "smack" right into a wall. So much for confidence. It was a wall I go by like 8 times a day too. I have to laugh...I pictured myself looking like a fly splatted onto the wall. So, I may have come a long way with cane skills but I still get myself into trouble when I don't use it correctly. Guess I was swinging it out of step so it didn't catch the wall before I got to it. LESSON FOR THE DAY!!!

This week has been slower b/c more people have been graduating from the program. So we have ceremonies each time and miss our afternoon classes. We have a lot of new students that have been coming in so things have been switching around and such. Since I'm no longer new I need to help acclimate the new ones to the place and help them figure things out. Can get kind of stressful trying to keep track of everything and being a mentor. Plus I'm still dealing with my own insecurities and lack of travelling abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment