I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Field test

Today I had another field test at the ophthalmologist to see what my visual field looks like. It's been a year, so I was due for anothe. I have definitely been seeing more of a tunnel now in my vision and asked what my actual field of view was. He says 5 degrees. Normal is 120 degrees and legally blind is 20 degrees. Humm well I guess I can get my tax credit for being legally blind. He said it looks like it hasn't changed too much so of course b/c I am a bad patient I asked if I could drive. He was like "with a 5 degree field...NO!" Grumble grumble....I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I kinda would like to know his definition of stable b/c in 2 years I've gone from about 60 to 5. Doesn't sound stable to me...but whatever. I didn't go getting a doctor's edumacation!!!! I do know math and 60 and 5 seem kinda different. One of the techs looked at me and said "wow you are a tough patient." My response..."I've been told that for a professor I make a bad student. Not much difference here!"

[ok I'm back at the computer after examining my copy of the peripheral scans]....I am a scientist after all and need to understand all these things. I think I know his definition of stable now....he looks at the central region and the diameter of perfect unaffected vision is the same at 5 degrees. The surrounding vision though has darkened. I would think that would matter....Before I could pick up higher intensity light in that region...but now it's unresponsive to pretty much any light. Well as a blind person that is significant. Explains why I see a tunnel now.

He says that when he looks into my peripheral region all my blood vessels are atrophied and almost gone. The central is still looking good. Remember that by central I mean that little 5 degree part. He then gave me some eye drops for blood flow. The primary ingredient is Rogane...how crazy is that. I looked at him and said "are you telling me to put hair growing chemicals into my eye." He laughed and said my eye wouldn't get hairy. Hummm well I would think a hairy eyeball would work against my vision. I was like "I really don't want to have to shave the rest of my body more than I already have too." Ok some of you are probably thinking TMI. Yes I am a skeptic...perhaps I will just go back to acupuncture. At least it's ALL NATURAL and doesn't include hair growing stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment