I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Hearing loss

I find it interesting that while my hearing has not gotten better I have been able to use what I have much better. I am noticing things now that I would not have noticed before. Sound quality is still bad compared to normal hearing (although the new hearing aids help)..but picking up noises I need to listen for has gotten better. For instance...when the train pulls into the light rail station I am noticing the sound the tracks make as the vibrate before I noticed the bell on the train. Unique noise I must say. I don't know where the doors are when they open but I am noticing when they open. The bi fold doors are louder than the sliding ones. I usually can't pick up the sliding doors. I am very fascinated by how the brain works to amplify the senses you need when one fails, even if the other sense is poor.

I had another interesting and successful day yesterday. We had apartment inspections (which I passed without a problem) but I had to get around and use my problem solving skills to get where I needed to go without my instructors help. I find it difficult to follow people and really localize where they are talking from. But I managed and only fell off the curb a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment