I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Today

Today went pretty well. For travel we were sent on an independent (me and Mark, another student). We had to go around the neighborhood a certain number of blocks and find our way back a different direction. We got lost at an alley, but it was warm outside and I kinda had fun trying to figure it out and making jokes to pass time. Made it back. Of course I was walking in the middle of the road again like I always do...but at least it was a residential road and no cars were around. I did eventually run into a curb and figure out where I was.

I am enjoying wood shop. Got to work on some more of my project and used the table saw. I'm actually not really all that afraid of the thing. Still cautious and safe but no longer afraid of it. Have used the miter saw and router table without assistance now. I like being all independent with the power tools. Kinda makes me feel like "Go Woman...or Go blind Woman." :-) I don't think I'll use the table saw without Merle spotting at the end b/c it's really easy to have the board spit back at you. It can really hurt being hit with a piece of wood at that kind of speed. Not really worried about my fingers since I know the techniques that even sighted people should use.

1 comment:

  1. you sound more like the Chrissy we know and love, the one who can take on power tools or any other adventure!! Go blind woman!! p.s. you're so busy with your adventures, I miss you over on facebook :)

    ReplyDelete