I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Successful week

All in all this week was successful. I made it the whole week without peeking. My travel instructor is planning to buy me a gallon of cold stone creamery if I make it the rest of my program. Can I do it????
Anyways we were sent one day to find a gas station on Sante Fe during travel. My instructor was supposed to meet us halfway and was delayed. So Mark and I ended up doing it all on our own and got there. It was hard. I had to cross two intersections and three roads with stop signs. Then I got tangled in a tree that was attached to the back of a truck sitting in a driveway. I was hollering about annoying trees and ropes and trucks...Mark was laughing at me. It was kinda humorous!!! But pine needles hurt and I kept really getting tangled in them. Oh well I lived to tell about it. The intersection crossing was hard...I ended up crossing diagonally across both roads...and Mark was asking where I was going since I sounded far away. I figured out I was in the wrong road. Had to find my way back to the curb. I lived to tell about that too. The gas station has a big open lot for cars to drive in and I got way confused on that trying to find something to indicate what directions the building was in. I could smell gas pumps though and a car wash. It's that odd...smelling a car wash? Even though it was hard it felt successful b/c I never cheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment