I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Today was a wet day of travel. We were travelling in a thunderstorm and rain on and off. I was pretty quick in my walking...to about every shelter or covering I could find. It went well though. We travelled to Aspen Grove shopping center and I only ended up in a lane of traffic once...and no one was on it. I felt pretty confident since I've been on that same route sighted many times. So I knew what to expect. On the way back I got off the train and went to walk across the second set of tracks and halted to a stop really fast b/c I just about walked into the moving south bound train. I literally felt my hair swish. Ok I was not ok with how close I came to that train...never heard it b/c the one we got off of was making plenty of noise. Sheesh!!!

Braille is very complicated right now...I'm learning contraction signs like ble, ing, com, and others. They all have rules of when to use them in a word and the signs don't necessarily have some pattern to them. It's raw memorization. Ahhhh!!! Brain frizz!

No comments:

Post a Comment