I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Great Day

Today went very well...and to think it was all b/c I didn't allow myself to peak at all and thus my confidence level went up. Made gluten free mini muffins, did a whole bunch o dishes, read lots o braille, and learned to navigate facebook.com on the computer. My kids came to visit and I cut up and apple for them along with heating up some meat I made in the microwave. I can actually read the braille letters on the microwave. SO exciting!!! It's becoming practical and useful now. The kids had fun and were as wild as usual. Abby made comments like "I'm getting used to people and things around here." So silly!!! Travel went well. I felt like I was figuring out my cardinal directions better (N, E, S, W) and keeping better track of it as I travelled. We were travelling in a neighborhood and some dogs got really mad at us and were very ferocious sounding. It didn't bother me until a tree branch bumped my shoulder and I startled thinking a dog jumped the fence to land on me and attack. Wow quick adrenaline rush. Good thing I figured out quickly that it was a tree.

If anything I noticed that by conscientiously forcing myself not to peek I saw that I really could do it and my confidence was much higher. Hummm wonder what the moral of the story is!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment