I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Challenge for you

One thing I have been doing to practice blind training at home is taking a shower in the dark. It's one of the easier things to do without sight. I challenge you to try taking a shower with the lights off. I recommend setting your shampoo, conditioner, and soap in a set location so that you know where it is. Make sure you know where your towel is. As a blind person order and placement of stuff matters. You have to know where everything is and visually picture what your surroundings are like (if you haven't been blind since birth). Also if you have a bathroom with a window this won't work. People with normal functioning eyes will pick up on the smallest bit of ambient light peeking through something. That's the way rod cells work. Either use a different bathroom with no windows or cover your windows as much as possible.
I find this kinda fun and for me I sometimes hardly even notice that there is no light. Of course 8 hours in sleep shades will do that to you. Be sure you don't trip on the lip of your tub. No falls allowed!

Comment on what you think about the experiment and others can read your thoughts or things you've noticed.
HAVE FUN!!!

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! Considering I'm barely functional as it is when I wake up, I don't know that it'd be safe for me to try this... but I will! I'll try it tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes, hehe. Hopefully the cat doesn't get in the way, I'd probably step on her or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often do this when it is super early, cause I hate the bright light in our bathroom. But I'm still cheating since we have a window, though in Vermont, the light pollution is almost non existent where we are, so it can be pretty dark. I find it funny that you talk about having things in set places, cause both Kevin and I do this as a general rule, and it never occured to me that people might not do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised how mixed up I got IMMEDIATELY after I closed my eyes when everything was in place. I had JUST put the washrag there but it wasn't where my brain thought it was. THen the shower part- I was all confident knowing where the soap ledge is, afterall Ive been showering in this shower for 12 years. well I knew where the soap ledge was UNTIL I moved a step to adjust the water, which in itself was a feat worth mentioning finding the right knob to turn. (Had to touch several things before I would take the chance to turn one) Not being able to see how much soap lather was on me was very frustrating. I reallly wanted to open to check and then but I didnt want to cheat! so I compromised and added more soap than I normally would.
    Im glad I didnt wash my hair today! eick!
    This experiment makes me glorify Gods design of us as humans even more to be able to adjust to not seeing. THat is amazing how He does that! It parallels how we need each other in the body of Christ, we are all imperfect sinners, but He makes it work!

    Corinthians 12:14-16 (New American Standard Bible)

    14For (A)the body is not one member, but many.

    15If the foot says, "Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body.

    16And if the ear says, "Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body.

    He is an awesome God and I am so proud of you and blessed to be part of your journey Chrissy
    Love Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I know Keith Chrisholm. I shoot video, he mentioned you may wish to tell your story in a documentary. Hang in there I wish you well. Waterdog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we have a window I've been practicing taking showers and getting ready with my eyes closed...we keep everything in the same spot, so that wasn't too bad. blowdrying and straightening my hair and putting on my makeup was the tricky part...aud

    ReplyDelete