I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Multitasking

Today I had clean up duty and had to make sure I could clean the whole "huge" kitchen and get it looking nice while not seeing what I was doing. I also had a yeast rising bread to make and was doing both at the same time. There's a lot to clean when you are tidying the central hub for over 35 people eating lunch and getting stuff out and using the counter. Another student at the center was also assigned with me and he took out the trash and cleaned tables off. I was not going to attempt to find the dumpster. Already get lost just walking out the door sometimes.

Braille is going well. I know my alphabet just about and am learning punctuation marks. I had to write sentences using the slate and stylus today. It's a little device with cells that have 6 holes each and you punch out your words or letters in each cell. Hard to keep track which ones you already punched out, and when you punch the paper the punch dots appear on the back of your paper. This means you have to write your words or letters backwards. I'm getting the hang of it, but if any speed is needed forget it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment