I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, February 12, 2010

snow skiing


Had another good day snow skiing. My rhythm is much better and I was doing good listening to commands. We got some pics and video, and I can posts video when he them to me. You can see the sleep shades I wear during training. They black out everything. I finally started skiing the blue runs (more intermediate) without vision and find that the less flat spots I have the easier it is to keep a rhythm going. If I can't tell which way is up and which is down I get disoriented. Those flat spots are hard to figure out. I did ski a few runs with my sleep shades off to see if I could remember how it was 15 yrs ago. Fun stuff. My instructor had me guide him while he closed his eyes. I got to see what it was like for the guides. It was pretty windy out this time though so I had my hat pulled down all the way over my face like a bag and wore sleep shades over it. The one benefit to skiing blind is that you can cover absolutely everything and not have even your nose peeking out. Had to laugh about how I'm sure I looked to everyone else.

One of the guides was new and I was helping with his training by letting him practice with me. It's amazing how strong verses weak commands affect your ability to ski. I had a very hard time focusing on his commands and trying to execute them when I would get mixed up commands or some that never came. It was a learning experience for him and I was very quick to point out what I needed him to do so that I could hear what he said and execute the commands correctly. I only had him with us in the morning, so in the afternoon I didn't have to worry about that part. I could ski with good solid strong commands and do exactly what they told me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment