I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday

So I had to go on a travel route to a place called Beyond Sight to look for vision aids (digital recorder to take notes, watch, etc.) to use while training. Took a long time. Anyways Jen my tech instructor went with me. I veered into the road and when I couldn't find the curb I was tempted to peek and saw that I was walking in the middle of the road and all the cars were stopped hoping not to hit me. Whoops! After the store on our way back to the bus stop I got tripped up and Jens wheelchair ran over my foot (no it didn't hurt). When I moved my foot her wheelchair began to tip and I freaked out and tried to grab her. Can you just picture what all the drivers in their cars were thinking and us two blind folks were getting all tangled up in the middle of the crosswalk. Luckily we were able to keep her from tipping over. Then when we were almost at the bus stop I crossed a driveway as a huge truck was bearing down. Jen likes teasing me that I almost got taken out by a huge dump truck. Luckily the driver could see and stopped for me as I was floundering all over the place trying to get out of his way.

What a day!!!

On the bus I was trying to find the steps to get on and couldn't seem to figure it out. A lady can out of her seat, came over to me, and grabbed my arms. For some reason she thought pulling me up was helpful. My arms were way above my head since she was above me on the top step and my cane wasn't usable that high off the ground. In that position I couldn't use my cane to get up the steps and was tripping all over the place. I did thank her anyways b/c I know she was just trying to be helpful. It really wasn't helpful at all.

I'm getting used to looking like an idiot in public. Nice and humbling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment