I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Reevaluating Life

I am typing this while blind in class since I am learning how to navigate the internet with a screen reader and no monitor. Very slow.
I spent some time last night evaluating my life. I have always had such high expectations of myself and even so with my blindness. I need to be more patient with myself. Being hearing impaired was hard but I learned that by pushing myself so hard I could succeed and even prove how capable I was. Such pressure. Now I am still doing that now with blindness.
I had to allow myself to be ok with moving at a pace that is slower than what I deem as acceptanle ane everyone else thinks is just fine. Slowing down would be good for me.
In woodshop I wanted to make a bed which is abssurd cinsidering I am blind while in woodshop. I just expect an unreasonable amount . I know I could do it but I wou uld be very frusterated and overwhelmed. I will make a trivet instead.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't there anything between a trivot and a bed? How about a headboard? I love woodshop too.

    ReplyDelete