I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow skiing blind

I went snow skiing blind today. Very freaky and interesting at the same time. I used to ski and quit 15 years ago. Not only have skis changed shape in that time frame but the technique for using them has as well. I used to hop around my poles to ski down diamond slopes back then. Now hoping is a no no. It's all different. Then you add the blind layer. HA!!! OK so we started off with me freaking out about the chair lift. It went alright and the guide was good. I just hate not knowing really where I am or where the chair is. Then skiing. OK she would say commands like right, left, left hold, traverse, stop, down. I would just have to follow directions and trust I wasn't going to hit a tree. Very hard relying on someone else. She obviously can see what is around me and where I am headed and I can't...so she knows what she is saying and I need to listen. I did my best listening. It's hard when you feel like you are moving really fast and your not, and it's hard when I felt like I wasn't moving at all and really I was. On flat spots I would get so disoriented and fall all over the place. Surprisingly enough you get pretty motion sick when you have darkness and are moving and turning like that. Icky!!! She let me go down a run without my sleep shades so I could see what I remembered from 15 years ago and see what the mountain looked like. I have no depth perception but I still remembered a lot. Except that the techniques I perfected correctly 15 years ago are no longer good techniques. Sigh!!!!

On our way back we stopped at McDonald's and even though I wasn't hungry I wanted to order some fries just so I could see if I could go from the van to the line and order something, get my food, and come back to the van. I was excited to try it out and after getting my self unstuck between a newspaper stand I made it in the door, through the line, ordered, and walked back to the van. YEAH!!! I can now do fast food under blindfold. LOL!!!

1 comment: