I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Success

Today was an off day for me. I doesn't help coming back after a weekend off and then having to be blind again. I keep cheating...uggg I need to put tape over my eyes or something so I can't take off my sleep shades. My schedule was moved around so I missed out on my braille class to do wood shop instead. I'm a little frustrated that I can't do something advanced in wood shop since I already make things. Making a trivet sounds too basic. I should probably get off of my high horse about it and just enjoy myself whether it is too easy or not. For travel I practiced listening to an intersection and then crossed after I listened for about 10 cycles. It's so hard to hear when to go. Of course after classes were over and it was time to go to work I decided that I was going to cross the intersection and then make it to Arapahoe community college and up to my adjunct office. I hope no one I knew saw me...I look silly in sleep shades. But it took a while to cross the intersection b/c I would wait a cycle if someone came up and told me to go. I wanted to hear the patterns myself and judge when to go. Finally made it. I actually didn't do too badly getting into the building and up the elevator to my office. Yippie!!! Don't tell my travel instructor. He'll send me on something harder!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am telling!!!! LOL Yay for your accomplishment! Enjoy each day... even if it is easy sometimes! You are dealing with enough challenges enjoy the change to breath!
    ~Socks

    ReplyDelete