I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Yesterday's journal entry

I made a batch of corn bread muffins (gluten free) all under blind fold. I was very excited that I found what I needed, made the batter, cleaned the dishes, cleaned my mess, baked the corn bread, and then had it turn out well at the same time. Yeah!!! It’s a big industrial sized kitchen but I am beginning to find my way around nicely. It’ll take more time, but I’m off to a better start than last week. Can you picture pouring though blindfolded? How would you line up the container so that you didn’t over pour or miss it entirely. That is the question of the day. I tried a few methods which didn’t seem to work. I tried holding my measuring cup with half my palm over it to feel when the liquid touched my palm, and I tried poring it into a separate bowl and scooping the amount out. Oils are the worst. You can’t tell when they are pouring and need alternative methods like scooping out of a container.



Today during travel I made a mistake that really is a dangerous one. I have a new cane so I had to get used to it. Felt different and was slightly longer. Anyways I crossed the road onto a bus island and had to step up onto the island. Instead I thought the curb was on the other side of where my cane said it was and so I turned away from it right into a lane of traffic. My instructor ran after me and grabbed me, pulling me back to the island. Whoops!!! I was laughing hysterically. Anyone that really knows me knows that I laugh when I get really nervous and I was hysterically nervous in this case. I couldn’t believe how I just walked right into an open lane. He did say that there have been times when people missed the island entirely and just walked on through the road and cars would screech to a stop. Well at least they were only going maybe 25-30 mph and likely would have stopped. LOL!!! Not much consolation for the poor driver that has to slam on the brakes. Fortunately the cars in my lane were stopped at a light. Perhaps if they were going I may not have turned into the lane of traffic b/c I would have heard them, but my hearing aids don’t localize very well. Who knows!!

No comments:

Post a Comment