I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Yikes!

Today we had to get all dressed up for a networking event at the center. We have been preparing for it for a week or so now. Basically the students in the center had the opportunity to meet with people from different companies and places of employment to get a feel for opportunities out there. Another student and I are the only ones out of the group that already have jobs, so it was a good opportunity for us to practice. We had to mingle under sleep shades and meet as many folks as possible. I was so overwhelmed. With no sight I had to use my hearing to find out who was talking and what was going on. Not so good without lipreading. Man I didn't realize how good I really was at lipreading until a time like this. There was so much noise I just about wanted to scream and throw my sleep shades across the room. It was so frustrating. I met like four people maybe out of about 15 or so. I just couldn't figure out when to just introduce myself to someone, especially since I wasn't sure about whether or not a conversation was over, or even what was being said. [sigh] It's times like these when I really hate the fact I am going blind. I'm usually so confident and outgoing in a group setting and even when I am meeting whole groups of people. Now I'm not when I have no vision. It's so hard!!! I really hope I can figure that out so I don't lose that vibrant exuberant spirit about me when I am around people.

No comments:

Post a Comment