I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Another day

Today kinda started out bad and I had a pretty sour attitude but as it progressed I shaped up. I suppose that I am human too and can have bad moments just like everyone else. I am working on being gentler with myself. It's ok if I don't get everything right away. For Pete's sakes reading braille with your fingers is a whole different ball game than doing math or something for me. It's ok to be patient with me. Now hopefully I can put that into practice b/c I have been way to hard on myself.

Travel is usually the class lately that I don't like and am nervous about, but today went much better. We did a route that wasn't super taxing so I could be a little more explorative and work on a few techniques I have trouble with. I felt much more confident after today than I have in a long time with my cane travel skills. I even forced myself not to cheat when I thought I was going to be hit by a car. Reality was I was stuck in the bus loop, not the street. Hard to tell when you can't see your surroundings. Since I was hollering and being whinny about it my instructor chose to ignore me and then came over to get me when a bus was coming. He was like "I am not going to deal with any yelling. I will just ignore you unless you are in real danger." Good thing I'm sure. We talked over how I could better figure things out rather than throwing my hands up (with cane attached) and yelling "where am I?" for the whole world to hear. Man he has a lot to put up with with me as his student. I definitely make him earn his paycheck. LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment