I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Another Graduation

Another student graduated from the center. He is from Ethiopia and his story is a touching one. He was blinded by tree sap when he was a child and then he was used as a beggar in the city for some opportunist man. He was able to escape and survived blind for many years before some missionaries found him and got him into our program at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I may not have his story entirely correct but I know his story is a remarkable one. Most of us in this program have very touching remarkable stories of enduring hardship and overcoming obstacles. It is sad to see people go but it is good to have them go out into the world as independent blind adults capable of doing whatever they put their minds too. I am very fortunate to have met these strong and courageous individuals.

I know my story is not an easy one and yet it is who I am. I would not be the same strong determined and ambitious woman if I hadn't faced these hardships all my life. Perhaps we are living proof that when the bible says "Perseverance under trials builds character and strength," it was right. (Of course that verse is very paraphrased). :-) At the same time I can say I would have preferred not to have gone through all this crap, but it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment