I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Travel route

Today I have a math conference so I will be taking a break from training blindfolded. Yesterday I was sent on my first independent route from the center to the light rail, up to Evans station, and back to the center. I had to go ask a bus driver where he was headed and then turn around and come back. He thought I was a bit strange to go al that way and then turn around and leave. "Uh Mam aren't you getting on the bus?" "Nope I am just on assignment and am heading back now." "Uh ok!"
A lady at the station thought I was lost...and technically since I was blind I was lost but not in the way she thought I was. "I saw you going that way and now you are back!" "Well I'm on assignment and can go back now!" I did nicely explain it to her since I had time while waiting for the light rail. I peeked a few times b/c I was nervous. The temptation is so high....as my friend likes to put it "The Adversary is tempting me!" LOL!!! Anyways I made it back to the center and Robert at the front desk was like "how'd it go?" I disappointingly told him I cheated. He went ahead and announced over the intercom that I did my first independent. After that he told me that I would learn more skills so I wouldn't feel the need to cheat later on. Hummm I said I liked his perspective better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment