I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Royalty

I went to the shopping mall with my daughter Abby in order to get my braille watch re sized. I didn't take my cane with me (which wasn't smart considering how many objects I about ran into). Anyways I noticed that as I approached a door to go into the building someone was coming out. I'm so used to people noticing me and holding the door, opening the door, and doing everything to be helpful. This time I had no identifier and the person let the door shut. I had to screech to a stop to keep from running into it. I guess I've been getting used to be treated like royalty. LOL!!! My friend would say it serves me right for not taking my cane with me. I make so many little mistakes without my cane and people just go around thinking I'm so rude and glare at me. I make almost as many mistakes with my cane, but at least people look at me and think "oh she's just blind!" It does make me laugh though. Guess I had a little mini lesson on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment