I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Graduation

One of my close friends graduated today. Even though we only knew each other for a month we had a good time around each other. I really enjoyed her company. Anyways she finished her big meal for 50 that is done on graduation day. Also finished her mega monster route early this week. It's a trip we have to plan out and make for a day that involves four city locations to visit, catching all of the transit required for it, and meeting everyone at a restaurant of choice. She picked the Ave. Grill in Denver. It was pretty stressful but she did it. Also to graduate we are required to do complete a project in technology, organizational skills, a 30 page braille recipe book for home management, a mini meal for 15, a woodworking project, a braille project, the monster route for travel, a support drop in the middle of the city, a drop alone in the city, and then our final meal for 50. I am most nervous about the drops. We are dropped somewhere, can only ask one question, and need to find our way back to the center.

This program is definitely a very intense training program and requires a lot out of us. It's very good for me to have high expectations placed on me in order to be prepared to do anything I put my mind too as a blind person. Going to graduate school for a doctorate in Biophysics will demand a lot, even more as a blind person. I know I can handle the academics behind it, but I will also know that I can handle the affects blindness will have on me as well. It's a confidence building program, but it can also feel discouraging as we are muddling our way through. We just can't give up b/c we can do it. I know that given what I have faced in my life as a hearing impaired individual and, overcome, I can now do the same thing with blindness.

Good Luck out in the world Shelby! I will treasure our time together!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Chrissy; you are soo smart and I am so honored to know you. I am a prayer warrior for you. You have so much courage and strength. I can tell in your blog how the Lord fuels you when you get down and you find hope. You have such a great sense of humor too! What a testimony!! You are so special.

    ReplyDelete