I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Perspectives and links

I found another blog where someone posted the following about Ushers:

"To most it's the stuff of nightmares; as one father wrote on his blog after reading about the condition while researching what might have caused his son's deafness: 'Usher syndrome gave me the experience that the cliche calls 'chilled to the marrow'. It's a cold start, a real glimpse of horror.'"

It's an interesting perspective. I'm not sure I would say that I am chilled to the bone by my genetic condition. I mean I have it and I'm learning to live with it. The process of losing my eyesight and possibly more of my hearing is not fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it's my life. It's my reality. It's not that bad. The part that is hard for me to deal with is the fact that I am limited because I can't drive. I want to go to grad school for my Ph-D but I'm not sure I will be able to because I have no transportation. I have applied and we'll see what happens, but will I be able to accept the position? I absolutely abhor the limitations placed on my by Ushers syndrome but not the disease itself.

It is scarey and most people can't fathom what it is like to have a dual sensory loss. But the part that they really can't understand is the limitations put on me by a world that does not accept the disabled very easily. I am capable of doing many things but I am not able because in a world that relies on mobility I don't fit. Of course I am working on changing that for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment