I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Today

I had a very good friend of mine visit the center today, so I got to give her a tour. It was fun showing her what I do everyday and show off some of my limited skills. :-) I definitely enjoyed having her there.

Later on I had to do another independent trip to Oxford station where I have never been. This panicked me and I cheated so much. It's like I would be standing and had to check that I really was on solid ground. How dumb is that!!! Well when you start to panic all sense and logic flies out the window. I was so unsure of my cane and didn't know what to do with myself. After I started heading back I ran into my instructor and told him I was mad at him for sending me out by myself. I really felt like I couldn't do it and was not ready. Sounds freaked me out and I was so unsteady. If I had stayed calm I might have been able to do it, but I really don't feel like I know the art of observation enough to determine what I am doing or where I need to go. I was also panicked about ending up on the tracks like Jeff did. I think it was too much of a stretch just yet and left me so very very discouraged and upset with myself. It's one thing to anticipate what you know is present b/c you've been there before. It's an entirely different matter to figure it all out from scratch and not even know the layout of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment