I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vision and Hearing simulator

This is cool. It's a vision and hearing simulator. You can see what it's like for me. Just click on the buttons to the right on the screen that say vision simulator or hearing simulator...PLay around with the simulator. It'll give you a good idea of what I live with. The simulators or on selectable tabs towards the top of the page.

http://www-edc.eng.cam.ac.uk/betterdesign/downloads/impairmentsims/


my eye disease is called retinitis pigmentosa and I have the mild hearing loss with hearing aids and severe without hearing aids....actually to hear the normal mode I had to turn the volume all the way up. ;-/
What you'll notice is a "charlie brown's mom's voice" quality to what I hear. That is how I've always described it.

Keep in mind that the black dark regions that are blocked out are really just a hazy white or non existent. They aren't really black...how to draw in non existence.
At night though my vision does look black...and in low light just look at the picture and make everything really dark in your mind. Only a few things show up...

No comments:

Post a Comment