I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No fingers chopped

WOW it was exciting today. I got to use the miter saw and table saw. Yes I was blind!!! We are actually very safe b/c the techniques we use keeps us from getting to close to the blades. They are techniques even sighted people should use...and most do. We have to properly set the blades and use a click rule to do so...very accurate. We can have a table saw blade more than 1/8 higher than our wood stock we are cutting. We also use push blocks so as to stay away from the blade. Our sense of awareness needs to be sharp (and it sure is when that kind of noise is turned on). Our hands must also stay in place and not move, except to push the push block. The miter saw was interesting. It was actually a sliding miter. I had to pull it towards me, push down on the cut, push back, and then raise it. Allows for cutting of wider boards. So fun!!! Next week I might be doing the angle cuts. Ohhh dangerous sounding. I am having fun with this if you can't tell.

1 comment: