I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Woodshop video

I had videos taken during woodshop. I am cutting out the base for my trivet project. I am not a big fan of table saws but the way my instructor has taught me to be safe with them leaves me less afraid of the saw. It was always the one saw I hated in my remodeling and woodworking adventures as a sighted person. Now it's not so bad even without sight. The blade can only be an eight above your cutting surface and a push block is very important so your hand doesn't go into the blade. My instructor is spotting me so that the piece will stay straight. The second video is the mental prep that went into bravely cutting something without seeing. I did well handling my nerves!!! LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment