I am using this blogging site to keep friends and family informed about my life for the next 7 months or so of blindness training at the Colorado Center for the Blind. I have Usher's syndrome which results in hearing loss and progressive vision loss. Now the state of Colorado is paying for me to go through an extensive training program. There will be lots of challenges ahead for me and I am both apprehensive and excited!!!! The training consist of being blindfolded 8 hours a day 5 days a week and learning how to function completely without sight.

Monday, March 8, 2010

This weekend

I went to a church last night called The Scum of the Earth. I had to go just to see what the name was all about. Anyways there were a group of us from the center that went. 4 of us came back early rather than going out to eat and were waiting for the 10:15 pm bus. The time came and went and No Bus showed. I called Matt to see if the schedule was different. Well apparently Sundays are limited. Our last bus was at 7:50 pm. We had to walk the mile and a half home. It was fun trying to navigate it together. Good practice and I did enjoy the time with friends. But the scary part was before we got to the bus station. We were walking to the light rail waiting zone and Jeff, one of the newer students that has Ushers like me was confused and fell off the platform onto the light rail tracks. Fortunately I could see a little b/c of the lighting at the station and went running onto the tracks to get him off before the train came. He was so disoriented and it took longer than I would have liked to get him off the tracks. Then a train came within a minute of all that. Poor guy! It freaked us all out and I was the only one sighted enough to see what happened to know he was on the tracks. After that ordeal was over with and all adrenaline settled we than had a long walk home in the cold, but it was still enjoyable (not the train track part but the walking part).

1 comment: